Potential recruits to the Legion must possess the following qualifications
- Have a passport
- Prior military experience (this may be waived in a few specific cases, if the recruit has other valuable experience such as medical trauma training)
- English language – the official language of the Legion is English. Recruits with good skills but poor English who speak certain languages (Russian, Spanish, Polish) may be accepted.
- Financial resources of at least $2000-5000USD. Do not travel to Ukraine with less than $2000USD, in Hryvnia or USD.
- Age – Current age restrictions are 18 to 50 (approximately) and may be waived in certain cases.
- Clean criminal record – The Legion claims to background check recruits
- Physical fitness – Recruits should be able to perform basic military activities such as jogging, lifting and carrying 20kg several km.
- Commitment length – Recruits should be able to commit for at least 3-6 months. Yes you can leave at any time but don’t join planning on it.
- Medical problems – Recruits should not have any major medical problems.
- Willingness to sign the contract – If recruits are unwilling to sign, do not waste anyone’s time. Yes you can leave at any time but don’t join planning on it.
- Ability to transport one’s self and gear to and across the Polish/Ukrainian border
Note that the ILDU does not currently require combat experience to join, although this is certainly preferred.